Pea and Ham Soup
Is there anything better than Pea and Ham Soup on a cold winter's day?
1 small ham hock
500g green split peas
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 celery, chopped
1/4 cup pearl barley
3 bay leaves
Ground black pepper
1. Empty split peas into a colander and rinse well. Remove any discoloured peas.
2. Place peas in a large pot with ham, onion, carrots, celery, pearl barley and bay leaves.
3. Add 12 cups of water.
4. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Remove ham from the soup mix, place on a chopping board and discard, skin, fat and bone. Remove meat, roughly chop and set aside.
6. Remove bay leaves, then using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth.
7. Add ham meat to the soup and add pepper to taste. Combine.
8. Serve immediately.
Link up your Wordless Wednesday below: