Wordless Wednesday: Pear and Rhubarb Crumble
1 kg pears, ripe but firm
1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
3/4 cup plain flour
75g cold butter, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup shredded coconut
Ice-cream and / or vanilla custard to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180 C or 16O C (fan).
2. Peel and core pears and chop into even slices (as shown above).
3. Place pears in a large saucepan, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of caster sugar, add 1 cup of water and simmer over a medium low heat until pears are tender but still holding their shape.
4. Drain excess fluid from pears and place in a 4-5 cup capacity oven proof dish.
5. Place rhubarb in a small saucepan, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and add one cup of water. Cook over a medium low heat until tender and loose.
6. Drain excess fluid from rhubarb and evenly spread over cooked pears.
7. Spread almonds on a oven tray and bake for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool.
8. Combine flour, cinnamon sugar, coconut, and roasted almonds in a large bowl. Add chunks of butter and using your hands rub into the mixture until mixture is crumbly.
9. Sprinkle topping over pear and rhubarb and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with custard and / or ice cream.
Link up your Wordless Wednesday below