I guarantee this is the best pumpkin soup you will ever taste! Taking the time to roast the pumpkin gives the soup a rich, sweet flavour, that is delicious. Served with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of fresh chives and a chunk of crusty sour dough drizzled with olive oil - your winters day will be complete.
1 large pumpkin (we prefer to use Jap Pumpkin as it gives the best results)
2 cups of milk for blending
Olive oil for roasting
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel and chop the pumpkin into medium chunks suitable for roasting.
3. Place pumpkin pieces on two large baking trays and coat all sides of the pumpkin with good quality olive oil.
4. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
5. Cook for approximately 45 minutes or until tender, turning the pumpkin pieces after about 25 minutes.
6. Remove pumpkin from the oven and in small lots place in a blender and blend until smooth. If pumpkin gets stuck add small amounts of milk (or cream) to make blending easier.
7. Transfer blended pumpkin into a large saucepan, heat to desired temperature and serve.
8. Serve with a dollop of fresh cream, fresh cut chives and fresh crusty bread.